Are you properly protecting your mouth from the dangers of cavities? Did you know that cavities are holes in your teeth caused by the destruction of your tooth enamel? Oftentimes, bacteria in your mouth converts sugars that you consume into harmful acids within your mouth. These acids can erode tooth enamel, and if plaque and other sticky substances are present, the acids can linger in your mouth for much longer causing further enamel loss.
To stop cavities before they even have a chance to begin, employ these cavity-prevention tips:
– Practice regular oral health care habits that include brushing your teeth and gums twice daily and flossing your teeth at least once daily with ADA or dentist-approved cleaning tools.
– Avoid foods and snacks that tend to remain on your teeth and gums, such as sticky sweets, chewy snacks, and gummy treats.
– Studies have shown that chewing dentist-approved sugarless gum for at least twenty minutes after a meal can spur the creation of saliva in your mouth, which has been shown to help thwart cavities.
– Schedule meetings with our team at Masterpiece Dental for oral exams and bi-annual professional cleanings.
– For additional oral health fortification, add a water flosser or mouthwash to your oral hygiene routine.
– Eat safe and nutritious foods and snacks during mealtime, and limit snacking between meals.
Dr. Brandon Green and our team want to keep your mouth healthy and cavity-free. If you would like to book an appointment to come see us at our dentist office in American Fork, Utah, please call us at 801.756.5136 to speak with a member of our team. We look forward to seeing you smile!